Monday, January 01, 2018

Facebook Status Updates - Nov-Dec 2017

Nov 2017

From this morning's output:
I love you too.” I pause. “Like a sibling.”

Writing fun of the morning:
With the canopy of trees dissipating, the shape of the flying creature becomes visible again. At least thirty feet, long and serpentine without any sign of wings. A sound fills the air, and I imagine it is mourning and fury both but in the moment it somehow sounds more like a tugboat being molested.

You know things are going oddly when 16K into the story you realize you needed to rename the main character for plot reasons ... shall see what today brings.

from WIP:
Those who abuse others with their power always seek more power. Fear does not allow you to do otherwise.”

You – all of us – could just be distractions to confuse others. If we’re more than that, it’s good, but perhaps we don’t need to be. You don’t get to be as old as Minou is by needing to rely on others, so we’re here but perhaps not needed?”
That might be true for you,” I snap, “But *I* am the POV character of this story, which means I am the main character and clearly important.”
And what have you done that’s important so far?” Druup demands.
I added words. I must have done that. I – must have more purpose than that, surely?”
No one responds. I have at least 20,000 words to prove them wrong.

I never walked away. I was only ever brave enough to run, and coward enough no never look back and not once listen to those who screamed my name.

From WIP:
Everyone is working, on their way to work or thinking about work. I don’t even have to try to use my magic to feel that. This is a court of the fae, and it feels like I walked into bad Dickens fanfic that was pro-industrialist. I shiver a little, not meaning to.

From WIP:
It is something I often think about. How much weaker I would be if I could do more than I can. It is a difficult concept to explain.”

Start of second nano:
It was a dark and stormy morning, the kind that the government had mandated for the last two weeks. Thunder rumbled through a sky without rain, lightning arcing in random bursts that almost hid the vast shapes far above, almost was enough to make you believe a war wasn’t being fought overhead for the sake of the world.

From WIP:
My sister looks up at me for a long moment, then sighs. “That’s the problem with this family. We’re all too damned good at acting. I can play the martyr as easily as you can, but no one has to”
And she leaves my room before I can think of a reply.

Writing a sci-fi novel off the seat of your pants is ... an exercise. In insanity, but definitely an exercise.

From writing from late last night:
Aswag. I haven’t had a headache since the night the car fell off of the tram.”
I already told you, cars don’t fall off the tram system,” he screams.
I jerk back into the pillows behind me.
Shut up, Jeff. Shut up and don’t talk. You haven’t had a headache since that day because people whose head explode tend not to have headaches ever again.”

Per some thoughts last night: Star Trek TV series seem reluctant to forge into the future OF that franchise (Post Next Gen, DS9 etc.), which on the face of it is very odd since all that's left is bad retcons and a more limited time/space to work in. But one problem is that the ship designs etc. reflect a far more 20th than 21st century idea of how a starship would work.
Which is why I propose the following: given their mandate is just to explore, and the existence of holodecks, bars and the like on the craft, the Federation ships used for their various exploratory missions are really repurposed pleasure yachts.

From tonight's output:
I stand, walking out of the ship’s rec room and leaving the others to talk. A silence follows me that words begin to fill as I round the corner toward my room. You can’t talk about a dead person when they’re in the same room as you. Not when they can talk back.

From WIP:
There are many kinds of cowardice, but I could not afford to be the kind that hides from the truth. No matter what it would cost me in the end. No matter that I knew the cost going in. I’d like to think that made me brave, but desperation wears many faces.

From last night's odd output:
"To die so that your enemy may someday know defeat is a poor victory but there was at least some glimmer of glory in dying as bravely as they could against impossible odds. There are defeats that can be as glorious as victories.”

From WIP:
You are holding an energy rifle with enough firepower – according to the guides – to reduce a forest to atoms in a single shot,” Tanya says dryly. “What, precisely, do you plan to shoot with that?”
Hah! You’ve never seen a rhinobear, have you? Fast as a tram car and tougher than the hulls of some space craft. I’d be lucky to kill one with a single shot, girl. This is Lethsea. There is game to hunt here that you can’t find anywhere else. Not on Earth, not on any other colony. Dogs. Cats. Cows. Chicken. Pigs. Oh, they have some cats and dogs on Earth and Mars still but they are rare and tame, not the feral beasts our ancestors hunted.”

Energy flares out in a million shades of red, writhing tendrils of energy twisting into space from where the red shiplet crashed into the El vessel. Each looks like a baker tearing wounds into the darkness between the stars.
... typo from autocorrect on a phone or! adventures of a celestial pastry chef: you decide!

From WIP (characters acting out a scene from a play I might have to eventually write out...):
You are my compass. Every compass I know is false that points north, but my heart is a compass that points only to you!”

From WIP:
My father smiles, and the smile is closer to my mother’s than I’ve ever seen from him before. “We’re actors, Captain Bluth. We can decide what story you are in, and how that story is told. Stand your people down, cease trying to break into an alien craft that is liable to get annoyed soon and we can discuss this. There are solutions that can benefit everyone, if we take the time to truly talk. Please. Pretend there is more to war than making civilization a poorer thing.”

From WIP:
I try to hate Merideth over the next seven hours, but hate is too hard to hold onto. It’s not strong, not compared to the deaths of everyone aboard the Delegation Five. Briin’s death is strong, in its own strange way that’s mostly sadness over a father I knew never. Merideth is right: we don’t have time to mourn, not properly. I wonder if there is ever a proper time for mourning, or if we all just carry our ghosts with us until we drop them without knowing.

From WIP:
It’s hard. Sometimes you’re so used to being hurt that you refuse to admit you’re healing.”

But the problem with stories is that we make them real. We turn them into books. We bring stories to life in order to reason with them. That is what gods are, at the core of it: a bargain. With death, the universe, with ideas and concepts. Once something can be reasoned with, everything changes. We bargain with miracles and magic, to gods and death and entropy and even the ending of all things.”

The clouds stopped pretending to be rain clouds, but almost no one noticed.

I said I was too scared to be with you; now I understand that it was bravery all along.

I thought I had words but all I had was language.

We erased the past as though it would lead to a future free of chains.

You wanted to be discovered too much to be a secret. Not even from yourself.


Dec 2017

The tragedy pretended to be a comedy.
And fooled no one.

I said I was too scared to be with you; now I understand that it was bravery all along.

You wake up one morning wearing the wig of the president of the united states. And it whispers things to you. Secret things. Terrible things you were never meant to know...

You said forgiveness wasn’t a drug.
And yet. And yet.
Just so.

“Better? Heh. You aren’t interested in making things better. You’re just interested in being right.”

You pretended that smiles could never be wounds.

It was sometimes hard to remember that this, too, was not a gift at all.

“But what if I am not the villain? What, then, are you?”

Once upon a time, there was a changeling child who tried to take over the kingdom in the sure and certain knowledge that no one knew what a DNA test was.
The cold iron test proved effective in the end.

“Books? Books are no longer my sanctuary from the world: you are.”
“That’s too much. For me, for us: I can’t bear that weight.”
“Please. I burned my library card because of you like it was the library of Alex -.”
And that was when I knew it had to end. Because I could never be everything that novels were to him. No matter how hard we might try to make it so.

*

“Hi.”
“Hi.”
“You ran away.”
“I did. Sometimes it’s the only way we can survive.”
“The funny thing about it is that some run away. Some run to. But we’re all running. I think some days the only time we get smart is when we stop.”
“How did you get to be so wise?”
“I got myself a library card. Read all those books you used to. Other ones too. It doesn’t have to be like that, not again.”
“What do you mean?”
“We could get Blockbuster cards.”
“… Blockbuster went out of business a while ago.”
“I’ve been busy reading.”
“Netflix. We’ll get Netflix.”

I think my life might be going fine if I’m ever charged with being an accessory to happiness.

I erased every song off my playlists that reminded me of you.
It is almost soothing to be free of music again.

Typo of the day:
Power crawls about him like a cloak and moose both.

“You told me to have a lovely day last week. I did not. That was a geas, a promise and it failed. And that is why you have to die.”
“I’m a barista. It’s my job to say that!”

“I know I can’t destroy you.” The villain smiles. “So I won’t. But my people are destroying everyone you know, every person you care about, every cause you champion. Even as we talk, everything in your life is falling apart. And you will get to discover how powerful you really are.”

Your fingers dream against my skin, the sky whispers clouds to us and I am struggling towards words
Melting in your
I am burning with the cold and every leaf that falls tells a story we wish
was not real.

“For you I can pretend anything
Even -
that I am a poet
but for every word I lose when you ask me
anything at all.”

Cashier: *attempts to ring though zucchini of the customer ahead of me; scanner refuses to accept code, speaks garbled words*
Cashier: “It spoke. I didn’t know it could talk.”
Me: “Let’s all just back away slowly.”
Cashier: “And now the screen’s frozen. All over a zucchini.”
Me: *continues to back away*

Everyone is terrified of clowns, but all small children fear Santa Claus. They understand what the rest of the world has forgotten: the Santa is the next stage of the clown, just another disguise clowns wear to hide their nature.
Older adults learn the same about politicians, which are the final form.

The history of folklore is a long campaign of informational warfare.

We opened doors like they were windows, leaped through expecting a long fall to the earth.

I found the present under the tree. The one you said you hadn’t wrapped. And neither of us know whose heart is in it.

It’s all games of pretend. The trick is knowing it is a game, and just how far you’ll go to play a role.

I erased my greetings and the last message on my answering machine as if it meant no one would ever call me again.

His imaginary friend left him for someone else.

He stood, swaying, eyes like discarded suns.

Sometimes we almost pretend enough to make it matter.

How many poems have you lost? How desperate are you to find them again?

Nothing was broken, but everything was bruised. And somehow that was worse by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment