Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Of Sirens and Shadows

I hit pavement and roll. Somehow it isn’t hard. Derrick is clutching at the air where the steering wheel was, making confused noises. As a rule, police cars don’t generally vanish from existence. From the alleyway that contained something made of smoke and foul dreams a boy cones walking out.

Whatever had been in it had hurt like a toothache behind the eyes. It wasn’t there. Just this boy with a most serious look on a face that didn’t seem suited for it.

“I’m sorry about your car, but I promised Honcho there wouldn’t be any sirens tonight and you were about to do an oops and turn some on,” he says, as though that makes all the sense in the world.

“Can we have it back?” My voice is calm. I can’t shake the feeling that being anything other than calm would be a very bad idea.

“Umm!” The boy scratches his head. “I was kinda busy getting rid of the monster jaysomely and! I think I lost it?” He snaps his fingers.

Derrick lets out a shriek and curls into a ball.

“Is he okay?!” the boy asks anxiously.

“Ah. Yes. He’s –.”

“I bet he’s all adventured out! But but but I was going to say that I can get you another car!” He grins. The grin is impossible. Even Derrick stops sobbing and it isn’t even directed at him.

“Like the one we had?” I ask slowly.

The boy pouts. “I could but one that transforms would be more jaysome you know?”

“Our boss would prefer an ordinary one.”

“Okay!”

I have never heard a more enthusiastic okay in my life. One moment he speaks, the next a police car is on the road beside me.

“This one will have a siren tomorrow and – oh! Got to go: I don’t want I miss another adventure!”

The boy vanishes with a wave. I open the police car. It smells brand new even if it isn’t from our department. Or world. The radio works and I tell dispatch that no one is to use sirens tonight. My boss comes on, demanding reasons.

The word jaysome shuts him up. I’m ordered in for debriefing and told to call in a ‘code jay’ to the hospital about Derrick. An ambulance shows up for him before I’m halfway down the street.


I think I’m the only one at the station who is surprised when the police car vanishes after I lock it.

No comments:

Post a Comment