Monday, February 12, 2018

DARE to be Jaysome


Charlie almost kicks the door in on the magician’s motel room. And it has lots of wards, cuz Honcho is really good at them, but Charlie is really good at being Charlie too!

He walks out of the motel room in his robe for sleeping even if it’s way past sleeping and yawns. “Charlie. I was up late trying to fix –.”

“This.” Charlie shoves the gift at him like it’s not a gift at all. “What is it?”

“But I told you –,” I explainify.

“Jay.” Charlie says my name in a way that makes me kinda hide for a bit!

Honcho considers the gift. “Well, it looks like Jay was given a dog biscuit. Which turned into something else.”

“He told me it is LSD.”

“Oh.”

“Jay. On LSD. That warrants more than an ‘oh’ magician!”

“Kiddo.” I appear beside Honcho, who looks at me like a magician and pokes bindings and everything! “How are you?”

“I’m not sure? Cuz I got LSD from Dogmeat, who is a DOG and that’s close to LSD you know!”

Honcho pauses. “Ah. Continue?”

“And I had it and everything cuz Charlie said jaysome was a drug and coffee isn’t and sugar isn’t if it is and I’m really confused and I found out that lots of stuff is in nature like belladona and poppies, which are also –.”

“LSD isn’t found in nature, Jay.”

“But it comes from bread, and you can use morning glory seeds and ergot and –.”

“So you made some and took it?”

“I think so, but I wanted to be sure so I gave some to Charlie and she brought it to you and kicked your door a lot!”

“I did notice that.”

“And! she hadn’t even tried it yet.” And I totally sulk like a Jay.

“Magician,” Charlie says carefully.

“I imagine it is LSD.” Honcho shrugs. “But this is Jay, who is tough like a Jay. That includes poisons, and things that aren’t poison at all. Which means it did nothing?”

“I saw less bindings than normal for a second, and that was it!”

Charlie stares at the biscuit, then at me. “And you figured it would be safe for me to take this?”

“I figured it was a lot more boring that jaysome, and you’re used to jaysome,” and I offer a hugey grin as Honcho starts laughing.

“That – that is – right.” Charlie lets out a sigh. “That is a very good point, but it might be safest if you never do drugs again. Please,” she adds, and there is even a binding in that!

“I won’t at all when I’m eleven,” I say firmly, cuz I can’t bind my future-me’s like that too much.

“Good,” Charlie says, and then crumples all the LSD in her hand and says we’re going to have a normal adventure now, and I might have to apologize to people?!

Which is pretty weird cuz I didn’t do anything at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment